When a custom field is required, it must be filled out before the booking can be completed. Required fields are marked in the book form with a red asterisk.
You can specify whether to make a field required everywhere it is used, or just for specific items. From there, you can also specify whether it should be required for online users, Dashboard users, or affiliates. Click into the sections below for a step-by-step walkthrough.
1. Determine where to update the field
First, determine whether you want to make the custom field required everywhere that it is used, or only for specific items.
To make the field required everywhere it is used:
- Go to the Settings section of your Dashboard
- Select Custom Fields from the sidebar
- Locate the custom field (Fields are organized by type. If you’re not sure what the custom field type is, select All to see a full list of your fields.)
- Click Edit field to go to its settings
To make the field required for a specific item only:
- Go to the Items section of your Dashboard and choose the item you want to update
- Under the Availability section, click Options & Prices
- Locate the custom field. Remember that fields can be added to individual customer types as well as entire bookings (which are located on the Whole-booking fields tab).
2. Determine who the field is required for
Next, determine who should be required to fill out the field. For example, you may want to make the field required for online customers, but not your logged-in Dashboard users.
Click on the Prices and Visibility menu in the toolbar
Choose a price sheet to specify who the field should be required for
Not sure which price sheet to choose? Here are some of the most common examples:
- Base: Makes the field required for everyone, including logged-in Dashboard users
- Online: Makes the field required for online customers only (if you have more than one Online sheet, the one closest to the top of the list will be reflected on your website)
- Direct: Makes the field required for logged-in Dashboard users only
- Affiliates (names will vary): Makes the field required for any affiliates who make bookings with that sheet
Note: Price sheets are customizable, so your sheets may differ from the ones mentioned here. If you’re not sure which price sheet you should be updating, please reach out to our Support team.
3. Make the field required
Next to the custom field you’ll see a table with several different columns labeled Visibility, Price, Tax, and Final Price.
Click on the custom field’s Visibility status
Use the dropdown to change the field status to Visible
Check the box next to Require an answer
Click the Save button
Once saved, the field should be marked with a red asterisk, indicating that it is now required.