Unique Holidays to Take Advantage of in the First Half of 2023
From National Selfie Day to Walking Day — these holidays can spice up your marketing.
With the hustle and bustle of the holiday season almost over, you might be feeling a bit of letdown returning to business as usual. But there’s always something to look forward to that you can use as a creative way to market your tours and activities.
Beyond the big shopping holidays like Christmas and Black Friday, you can promote your experiences during lesser known holidays like Plan For Vacation Day and Boating Day.
If you’re looking for unique marketing initiatives year-round and want to bring a fresh approach to your promotions in 2023 (and make extra sales!), don’t miss the chance to celebrate these practical and playful travel and tourism holidays.
Here are a few holidays to get you started in the first half of 2023. Stay tuned for another post with the tourism holidays to celebrate between July and December.
Holidays From January to March
Shop For Travel Day | January 12
Shop for Travel Day is all about planning your next trip and taking advantage of travel deals. This day is a great opportunity to promote your gift cards!
Plan For Vacation Day | January 26
Plan for Vacation Day serves as a reminder to plan your days off and map out your vacation time for the rest of the year. Post a reminder on social media encouraging people to plan their vacation and request time off work ahead of schedule!
Weird and Wonderful Holidays This Quarter
- Dress Up Your Pet Day, January 14: A day to get our furry friends involved! Post pictures on social media and encourage your followers to share their costumed pet photos as well.
- Have Fun at Work Day, January 27: This is a great opportunity to show off your staff loving what they do every day—and it helps to personalize your business.
- Mom & Pop Business Owners Day, March 29: If you’re a mom & pop operation, take some time to share your company’s origin story on social media or in a blog.
Holidays From April to June
Read a Road Map Day | April 5
Time to put away our smartphones and unfold a road map! Take advantage of the road trip trend by encouraging your audience to go old-school. You can design a map showing common routes to your location and points of interest around town, or remind people to visit for a tour or activity during their next road trip.
Walking Day | April 5
If you offer walking tours, this day is for you! Celebrate with a discount on your walking tours or any other booking special that comes to mind.
Even if your business doesn’t run walking tours, you can celebrate this holiday by posting a blog with tips on visiting your city or location on foot.
National Travel & Tourism Week | May 7-13
A whole week dedicated to travel and tourism! No matter what kind of experiences you offer, this week is the perfect time to draw new eyes to your business. Here are just a few ways to celebrate.
- Feature a different tour guide or staff member each day on social media. Share their name, time spent working at your business, favorite food, dream travel destination, and other fun facts to create a personal connection with your audience.
- Create promos that guests can take advantage of all week long.
- Send an email newsletter sharing how your business plans to celebrate the week.
- Partner with other local businesses to create shared experiences.
Weird and Wonderful Holidays This Quarter
- Pizza Party Day, May 19: Surprise your staff or guests with a pizza delivery during their tour. You could also partner with a local pizza joint for the day and cross-promote each other.
- National Selfie Day, June 21: Everyone loves a good selfie. Bring a selfie stick on your tours and encourage guests to use it to document their experience with you – then share on social media.
These unusual and lesser celebrated holidays are only some of the many special days to promote each year. No matter what type of experiences you offer, you’ll definitely find a day dedicated to doing what you love.
We’ll be back in June with more playful and practical travel and tourism holidays to promote in the second half of 2023!